George Washington


Is George Washington Dead or Still Alive? George Washington Birthday and Date of Death

George Washington

George Washington Death

George passed away on December 14, 1799 at the age of 67 in Mount Vernon, Virginia, USA. George's cause of death was unspecified.

George Washington death quick facts:
  • When did George Washington die?

    December 14, 1799
  • How did George Washington die? What was the cause of death?

  • How old was George Washington when died?

  • Where did George Washington die? What was the location of death?

    Mount Vernon, Virginia, USA

George Washington Birthday and Date of Death

George Washington was born on February 22, 1732 and died on December 14, 1799. George was 67 years old at the time of death.

Birthday: February 22, 1732
Date of Death: December 14, 1799
Age at Death: 67

Is George Washington's father, Augustine Washington, dead or alive?

Augustine Washington's information is not available now.

Is George Washington's mother, Mary Ball Washington, dead or alive?

Mary Ball Washington's information is not available now.

George Washington - Biography

George Washington was the dominant military and political leader of the new United States of America from 1775 to 1799. He led the American victory over Great Britain in the American Revolutionary War as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army in 1775-1783, and he presided over the writing of the Constitution in 1787. The unanimous choice to serve as the first President of the United States, Washington presided over the creation of a strong, well-financed national government that stayed neutral in the wars raging in Europe, suppressed rebellion and won acceptance among Americans of all types. His leadership style established many forms and rituals of government that have been used ever since, such as using a cabinet system and delivering an inaugural address. Washington is universally regarded as the "Father of his country".
On Thursday, December 12, 1799, Washington inspected his farms on horseback in snow and sleet. He returned home late for dinner but refused to change out of his wet clothes, not wanting to keep his guests waiting. He had a sore throat the following day but again went out in freezing, snowy weather to mark trees for cutting. That evening, he complained of chest congestion but was still cheerful. On Saturday, he awoke to an inflamed throat and difficulty breathing, so he ordered estate overseer George Rawlins to remove nearly a pint of his blood, a practice of the time. His family summoned Doctors James Craik, Gustavus Richard Brown, and Elisha C. Dick. (Dr. William Thornton arrived some hours after Washington died.)

Dr. Brown thought that Washington had quinsy; Dick thought that the condition was a more serious "violent inflammation of the throat". They continued the process of bloodletting to approximately five pints, but it was futile and his condition deteriorated. Dick proposed a tracheotomy, but the other two doctors were not familiar with that procedure and therefore disapproved. Washington instructed Brown and Dick to leave the room, while he assured Craik, "Doctor, I die hard, but I am not afraid to go."
Washington's death came more swiftly than expected. At his deathbed, he instructed his private secretary Tobias Lear to wait three days before his burial, out of fear of being entombed alive. According to Lear, he died peacefully between 10 and 11 p.m. on Saturday, December 14, 1799 with Martha seated at the foot of his bed, and his last words were "Tis well", from his conversation with Lear about his burial. He was 67.